Clover Township Library
History of the Clover Public Library District Free public library service was unavailable to the Woodhull community before 1937, other than school and church libraries. The Women's Christian Temperance Union (W.C.T.U.) sponsored an Association Library on June 30, 1937. The library was housed in the private home of two sisters, the Misses Maud and Martha Cain; with Martha as librarian. The budget at that time was $100.00 per year plus gifts. Both sisters became ill in January 1965 and had to leave their home. Finding it necessary to move the library to other premises a series of town meetings were called and representatives of various organizations formed a committe and rend the former Farmers State Bank building. On May 1, 1965 the library reopened with Miss Frances Rehn as librarian. It continued as an Associate library run on donations until July 17, 1965 when the Township voted in favor of forming a Township library. From July 1965 to November 1976 the library collection grew from 3000 to 9700 volumes. In July 1965 the board voted to join the Western Illinois Film Cooperative which in now the Alliance Library System. Frances Rehn resigned in 1978 and Mrs. Coralie Null became head librarian and remained head librarian until her retirement in May 1995. Rene Bramlett has held the position since. The year 1978 was a very special year for the Clover Township library as it was then the library board was approached with an offer to build and furnish a brand new Township library. The Woodhull Women's Christian Temperance Union decided to disband and dispose of some property near Kewanee, Illinois which they owned; using the money from the sale to build our present library. After two years in first the talking then the building stages; the new library was ready to move into the new location at 440 N. Division St. the last week of January 1980. The old library was closed for two weeks while the transfer took place and our new library opened it's doors. Open house took place May 4, 1980 with many visitors touring the facility. Since then our collection continues to grow along with our circulation and hours. Mrs. Mieneer gave the library a beautiful grandfathers' clock in memory of her three sisters who were teachers many years ago in the Woodhull area. The clock was delivered and set up in time for the open house. During Woodhull's Quasquicentennial in 1982 the new library displayed much of the Woodhull area history plus arts and crafts of the residents' quilts from the late 1800's to 1982 were also on display. Because the new library is both beautiful and air conditioned it was a very busy place during the Quasquicentennial which took place during a very hot July week. Since then the Jaycees have given the library a television set and VCR on which the public can view tapes of all the Quasquicentennial activities from first to last; the tapes also were donated by the Jaycees. The library now has a lovely community room that is used for Story Hours and the Summer Reading Program. It is also used by various other community groups on a regular basis. The room can be reserved and used by any non-profit organization with no charge if they are in the AlWood School District.